- Hugh Grant has been the CEO of Monsanto since 2003.
He should receive an achievement award – – for the most people in the world rallied against one company!
I had to laugh when I heard (Feb 15) Monsanto, 168-page subpoena served on Avaaz demands names and addresses of Avaazers who have signed Monsanto campaigns
Avaaz ran an incredible campaign in the EU last year (other groups did, too), to stop the re-licensing of Roundup. A petition of well over a million signatures was delivered, just one of the many tactics used. They came close; in the end, Monsanto was given a 5-year renewal, Monsanto had been expecting a 15-year renewal. In 5 years, Monsanto will be going through everything all over again, but it will be in the aftermath of the court cases in California (below), and other developments. The “Avaaz + others” achievement, in cutting the licensed period from 15 years down to 5, is significant.
An aside, worth your while. Ricken Patel (founder of Avaaz) is David to the giant, Hugh Grant. And not only Hugh Grant:
The man behind Avaaz, Ricken Patel, Canadian (Interview, CNN. Plus article, The Economist)
2) On this side of the Atlantic, there are about 345 non-Hodgkin Lymphoma lawsuits waiting to go forward against Monsanto, in California. The results of this one case in San Francisco, this week, will affect what happens with the other cases:
2018-03-05 Monsanto says its pesticides are safe. Now, a court wants to see the proof, The Guardian.
2018-03-05 Farmers vs. Monsanto: Glyphosate Showdown Comes to U.S. Court in San Francisco, List of the expert witnesses that will be called. Organic Consumers.
3) Bless CBAN (yet again). All Canadians should be aware of the danger behind the mergers that are taking place. Monsanto and Bayer are just one.
2018-03-05 Stop the Monsanto-Bayer Mega Merger, CBAN
4) The people working to save the pollinators, the bees and the wasps, on their flip side, are working to prevent more poisoning by Monsanto, Bayer and their colleagues. Many different groups in many different places are fighting to save the bees.
An important, well-done action item that simultaneously addresses “regulatory capture” of the PMRA by the chemical industry, initiated by Friends of the Earth:
2018-03-08 The bees have a question. And how about this – –
2017-12-05 Morgan Freeman converted his ranch into a bee refuge ?!
5) Many of these initiatives represent entirely different groups of people working in yet another way against Monsanto and what it represents. A one day free listen this Sunday:
2018-03-07 Glyphosate (Monsanto, Roundup) One day free listen, Sunday March 11, interview
6) I don’t think I told you: the March Against Monsanto partnered with the Truth About Cancer. Both of those movements have large on-line communities. Finally getting through: if you want to stop the cancer, you have to stop the poisons.
Does everyone know about the Marches Against Monsanto? International. It was started by a young mother in Utah who wanted safe food for her kids. The next March is just 2 months away May 19th, 2018. (The first one was May, 2013).
I’ll update, to help people find a nearby group, the List of March Against Monsanto (MAM), No to GMO, & GE Free Groups, emphasis on Canada A number of the facebook groups do a fantastic job of sharing information, self-educating, and drawing more people into the worldwide movement to stop the poisoning.
I will be marching on May 19th. Having fun. If you don’t have a March, it will be equally helpful if you use opportunities to bring Monsanto into everyday conversations. Tell a neighbour about the court cases in California, maybe? Or the international marches on May 19th? . . .
7) Monsanto will be . . . in court?!
2017-04-18 Legal opinion: Monsanto’s activities have negative impact on basic human rights
Arkansas Defies Monsanto, Moves To Ban Rogue Weedkiller (NPR)
This miracle weed killer was supposed to save farms. Instead, it’s devastating them. (Washington Post)
Monsanto Fighting Arkansas Dicamba Ban (Arkansas Matters)
Arkansas judge dismisses Monsanto lawsuit on dicamba ban, ABC News–Feb. 16, 2018
With our help, the break-through will come. It’s amazing already – – the above is just a small sampling of the mobilizations against Monsanto!
If you’d like to add to the list, please use the “Comments” below.